Originally Posted by kevs
Again: what latest month/ year you would hang on.
You don't want buy answer to that question, I always lust for the latest and greatest.

[quote-keys]Advantage to hanging on a bit, ie, you get a later, greater machine, maybe less buggy?[/quote]
The advantage to hanging on a bit longer is you will never get a cheaper machine than the one you already have. As far as "buginess" goes, upgrading usually trades the bugs you know for a new set of bugs. On the other hand as Ira pointed out the older a machine is the slower it is. (It may or may not actually slow down, but it will certainly seem slower when compared to the latest generation computers. It is also true that when cruising the web, the sites become more complex and take more CPU cycles to download and render slowing the actual on-line experience.

Originally Posted by keys
What sell old one independently, craigs list, ($300 guess?); or trade into Apple, $ 100 guess?
Apple's trade-in may not be the top dollar but it is safe and so easy even I can't mess it up. On the other hand Apple probably won't offer a trade-in for a Mac as old as yours. Once a machine hits the point of official obsolescence its value long since dropped into two digits rather than three. In that case Apple's best offer will be to salvage it for you at no cost. You can easily get their offer by initiating the process of buying a new Mac and they will tell you their best offer before you have to commit to purchasing.

Although I am sure I will get some static for saying this, given the way you describe your computer use, I would urge you to consider an iPad to replace your Mac. It would be less expensive, have fewer problems, longer battery life, smaller, easier to carry, cheaper apps, and would have more than adequate speed and power for your needs. In that case, unless you elected to save ~$100 by going without a cellular modem, I would advise waiting until some time in the next year when Apple switches to their own 5G modems.

"All you've got to do is own up to your ignorance
honestly, and you'll find people who are eager to
fill your head with information"
--Walt Disney