Originally Posted by kevs
1- Kind of lost. Again, all music is uploaded, from my computer to the iphone, to the iphone should not be getting involved. But there might be data charges? Or not sure. Now today, I'm not seeing what I saw on screen before, now just sterile list which I like, but sometimes during day working out outside, I'll see info about new music, so just thinking maybe Itune/music is going online, have no idea.
If you are seeing info about new Music and if the Music app has cellular data enabled and if you are not connected to WiFi, then you are being charged for data usage. However, if any one of those factors is not true then you are not being charged for data. So I repeat:
Originally Posted by joemikeb
To cut off any other remaining Music data charges go to Settings > Music and turn Cellular Data > Off
tithe will eliminate any possibility of your being charged for data associated with Music.

Originally Posted by keys
Does animated cover art or using their library cost data?
See the previous suggestion.

I don't sync when I upload my music to the phone.
That is what I would call synching.

I don't think the Apine app is a good idea but who know.. would seem to complicate things. May be better for me to make annoying habit of just quitting Music every time I use it in the car with other apps, like Podcast or CD etc. For some reason, if Music is on pause, and even if I want hear podcast, Music unpauses and songs start playing over podcast.
The radios in our vehicles are all CarPlay enabled and immediately switch into CARplay mode the instant they are connected to an iPhone, so I cannot replicate what you are encountering, but it sounds like a compatibility issue between your Alpine receiver and iPhone.

As for playlist always not sticking, well sometimes stay paused and stick for days between workouts, but 1/2 time just gone/vanished.
🤷‍♂️

Honestly, I find Music, be really hard app to deal with interface, and often have to quit out and relaunch just to know what going on.
Music (ne. iTunes) has some quirks, but as it is the only music player app I have any experience with and have used it for 21 years it seems pretty intuitive to me. It seems to me you might be overthinking Music and perhaps trying too hard to control what is going on and when it happens. For me, I just stick the music in either from a CD or most often from Apple's Music Library. From there I only download those tunes I want to play on my iPhone or Watch when I am out of range of WiFi. I have the minimal data plan and most months I only use an insignificant portion of that, and most of that is for navigation. Not permitting Music to use cellular data assures that I never have any charge for playing music.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein