Originally Posted by kevs
Three questions with itunes or Music

1) on iphone, even though I only use it with my own music I upload, that I see some dynamic stuff on home screen. Is Music/itunes going online? Is this costing / using data? Anyway to shut that off?
If you upload an album or even a single tune and that album or tune is available in Apple's Music library your music is not stored and Apple's music library copy is used instead. This saves space in your iCloud Drive as well s on your iPhone, iPad, Mac, AppleTV, and Home Pod.

If the music has been downloaded to your iPhone there is no reason to stream it from iCloud or the Apple Music Library so there is no data transferred and therefore no charge for data transmission. The dynamic stuff on the screen I suspect is Animated Cover Art. That can be disabled by changing Settings > Music > Animated Cover Art to Off or Wi-Fi only

To cut off any other remaining Music data charges go to Settings > Music and turn Cellular Data > Off

2) I have playlist, and they all seem to disappear eventually, It's like itunes can't get them to stick there more than few days. Any theory why they keep getting knocked off to default? Frustrating. Have go back to library, select playlist and find where you were.
As a guess only, I suspect Music on your iPhone is synching with Music on your Mac thereby creating the "disappearing" playlists. To prevent that, on your Mac go to Music > Preferences > General and UNcheck Sync Library. That means all of your devices Music will be totally independent of any other Device on your Apple ID.

3) in car, when I plug into Alpine receiver, I itunes on pause, and even when I do to do anything, play CD or play through another app, itunes release to play, even though I did not choose to play, anyway to control that? thanks.
I chose to drink tea this morning instead of my usual 12 or 16 ounce cup of Starbuck's dark roast single origin Coffee, so I am a little slow on the uptake but "release to play" is just blowing right past me. 🤔 I am guessing your Alpine receiver is not Car-Play enabled? There are several Alpine apps for the iPhone in the App Store, if you can find one that is compatible with your Apine receiver, you may be able to control it there.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein