Originally Posted by alternaut
Originally Posted by MartyByrde
Man, talk about a perfect example of what Tom Hanks said in Forrest Gump: Stupid is as stupid does. Thankfully have not heard anything like that in the US, and specifically in Washington state where we are located. I am making the logical assumption that since we are getting the first dose of the vaccine at a hospital, they have enough (maybe more than enough) for the second dose.
As I mentioned above, not holding back second doses is exactly what the Trump administration did, starting about two weeks ago. That said, I suppose it's (still) up to the states or localities to either keep second doses in reserve, or hope for timely additional shipments. And if you don't mind my saying so, from where I sit it's hard to judge the logic of your assumption about your local hospital's policy... wink
That tactic by the (now defunct) Trump administration does not seem to have happened, as I am not seeing or hearing of many (if any) places running out of the vaccine, and definitely not here in Washington state. And also, with the very recent change the governor announced on Monday regarding both expanding the number of people eligible to receive the vaccine and supply (although that will take some time), just the opposite seems to be the case. And now it looks like some more "outlets" are scheduling the vaccines. That includes the local Safeway pharmacy close to where we live. We actually have typically received our vaccines (Flu, Shingles) from that pharmacy.

As for my assumption about the hospital, they (and other such institutions) have already been giving the vaccine to the first group of qualified individuals (health care workers, etc.) for a couple months. One would think logically that they have more than enough supply of the vaccine available. They are, though, requiring an appointment to get the shot, which my wife and I already have. And I just found out that at the end of the appointment, they will schedule the second one. So, given that, with all due respect, 1 + 1 = 2, they would have the second doses available.

I would not be surprised to see a big rush happen as eligible folks scramble to get the vaccine. Fortunately, my wife and I have that covered, given that we already have our appointments for the vaccine.