Originally Posted by joemikeb
Originally Posted by MartyByrde
Also, we are getting our vaccinations at a hospital, and hence I suspect that is one reason why they have the vaccine already. We could wait and get it from our PCP, but they do not yet know exactly when they will receive the vaccine (it will be the one manufactured by Moderna).

My wife and I are just so relieved that we'll be getting the vaccine soon, but again, we will not "go crazy" in terms of easing up on the COVID protocols.
All vaccine in Texas is controlled by each of the 254 counties. They allocate the vaccine to the injection sights (hospitals, pharmacies, nursing homes, etc.) and reservations that are required to receive the vaccinations. There has been some confusion over that, because some pharmacies and health care providers have started taking reservations for the time when the vaccine become available to the general public. At the present we are still catching up with all the first responders and nursing home residents. We are in the next group, over 65 with chronic health conditions and suppressed immune systems, and they are talking two or three months before our first shot. In the meantime there are reports that Emergency Ambulance attendants are being told not to transport patients likely to die. No stories of ambulances circling for hours looking for a hospital to take a patient as in Los Angeles however.

This all sounds more dire than we are actually experiencing, but our family and friends have taken the CDC's advice to heart and have not had COVID-19. I would complain about being house-bound, but what's the point, everyone else I know is equally house-bound.

Here in Washington, up to now, no pharmacies have the vaccine yet. But as I stated earlier, hospitals have been getting the vaccine for a while. And I suspect they were anticipating the next group that would become eligible, which (as I also said above) includes folks 70 years and older, and thus have ordered (and apparently received) some more. Our PCP has ordered the Moderna vaccine, but they don't expect to receive it until next month.

Except for doctor's visits and food shopping trips (Costco and a Korean store), I have been staying home too. I'm OK with that, and to help keep an optimistic view, I am looking forward to early April, when I will be able to pick ferns. I will be able to be in the fresh air, get some much needed exercise, and will not have to worry about social distancing. My wife also spends most to the time home, but she does get out every so often to play Korean cards at an apartment not too far away. Those folks are definitely following the CDC guidelines and protocols. Same with family we have in the area.

Anyway, so glad we are both getting the first dose of the vaccine 2 weeks from tomorrow.