Originally Posted by artie505
I invariably see Safari Networking climb to 100+% when I visit nytimes.com, even with extensions disabled (which I just tried once more to be certain).

It appears to be at 0% under ordinary circumstances, just rising and falling back to 0% as I click on links.
Networking should rise when you click on any link, and with a content rich site like NYT it should rise a lot. Every page has multiple links to other pages which must be opened, and often those have links to still more content that have to be opened. It is a virtual cascade of links to be resolved. Be that as it may, driving your system to 100% of a core and causing the fan to spin up to seems excessive. I don't like to use Activity Monitor in that way because it is often among the top three or four CPU users on my system and because of that it distorts the results preferring instead Marcel Bresink's System Monitor which shows the individual cores, but it only identifies the top 5 apps. I am using Safari 14.0.3 and as far as I can tell it generally uses one of the low performance cores and seldom, if ever, switches to a high speed core.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein