Originally Posted by artie505
Originally Posted by MartyByrde
I really like that I can download either the full installation file, the Combo Updater file, or the so-called "Delta" updater file myself, save it, and then when I am good and ready, launch it myself. I don't like Apple controlling that process. This new "convoluted" way that Appel wants to do it takes away that control, and for me, it is a big deal.

Oh well, I'll just stick with downloading the full installation file, and proceeding with its installation. Doing that, together with a recent SuperDuper! backup is a smooth process.
"Automatically keep my Mac up to date" is a user option, not something that Apple has forced down our throats.

I am well aware of that option, and of course have it turned off.

As easily as you can d/l the Deltas and save them for later, you can ignore Software Update 'til you're good and ready to run it.

You are missing my point. I want to be able to download the file myself, and then apply it when I are ready. And I don't used Software Update for any updates. I don't want that.

The only downsides I can see would be if the next Delta is released before you've run the previous one and that there'll apparently never again be a Combo.

Well, for now, that's not going to be an issue. I suspect I will still be testing Big Sur when V11.2 is released, and thus will download the complete installer file, and proceed with the installation when I am good and ready.