Originally Posted by jchuzi
I upgraded to Big Sur today but not without a glitch. I successfully downloaded the upgrade via Software Update but when I ran it, I got a window with no progress bar but nevertheless had an estimate of time remaining to prepare the hard drive. Eventually, it had a message that it was quitting open apps and waiting to restart; this never happened. The computer then went to sleep according to my Energy Saver preferences. I woke the computer, quit Installer, and restarted. Then I ran Installer again, and this time, all went well except that the initial Big Sur screen was faded, and I had to click in the window to make it appear normal. (Naturally, I had updated two clones of Catalina beforehand.)

I will have to get used to the new appearance of Mail and Safari which, initially, I don't like. My wife will issue lots of complaints so I'm bracing for her wrath. My printer software had, for no apparent reason, reverted to Airprint, which I do not want. Consequently, I reset the printing system and reinstalled the Epson driver. I had to redo my presets, but that wasn't a big deal.

Sounds good, and glad everything is going fine.

I am continuing to run Big Sur most of the time, and still things are good. The size of the font (default?) in Brave and other browsers, for menu choices and my list of bookmarks, is a little smaller than with Catalina, but I am getting more and more used to it.

The one thing I might have to do, assuming a compatible version of Tech Tool Pro comes and none appears for SuperDuper!, is to switch to Carbon Copy Cloner. Really do not want to do it, as SuperDuper! has always been a stellar performer. But starting to get some doubts about a Big Sur compatible version. Hope I am wrong. We'll see.

Last edited by MartyByrde; 12/20/20 09:48 PM.