Originally Posted By: Gregg

I have 8 com.microsoft.____.plist files in the Preferences folder. I did not even notice the Microsoft folder farther down in that window. There are 17 items in it, including duplicates of the Excel and Word plist files. ... I'll try again on the ones in the Microsoft folder, but not for awhile.

Those 8 files sitting in the Preferences folder do not have "prefs" in their file names. If they did, the ones for Entourage, Excel, and Word would have the same names as those found inside the Microsoft folder. I moved the 8 files out of the Preferences folder. Then I moved the Excel.prefs.plist file out of the Microsoft folder to the Desktop. When I then opened an Excel file, it was replaced. However, the Excel Help window still did not have a close button. I put the plist file back.

I also had a file called Microsoft Office Settings (11) sitting on my Desktop. I forget where it came from. I just remember finding it, along with a VBA Preferences file in a strange place. Both files have been on my Desktop for awhile. The latter file (actually its twin) also appears in the Microsoft folder (above). Both have weird dates, that is, months after I got the computer, but a year apart. I put the former into the Microsoft folder before trying the above test.

The Excel Help window will close by doing the following:
Cmd-W (closes the spreadsheet window)
Cmd-W (does nothing perceptible)
Cmd-W (closes Excel Help window)
Excel is still running

Last edited by Gregg; 11/10/09 05:37 PM. Reason: added paragraph "I also...