THE SITUATION I have a wireless Canon IP110 that has served me well for three or four years. Canon’s printer drivers work well on MacOS 11.1 on both Intel and M1 Macs. (Just in case Canon has CUPS drivers available, as well.) There is no problem installing or re-installing the drivers and no re-boot is needed, The glitch is not the drivers, rather Canon’s software for configuring the wireless network settings does not work on MacOS 11. Neither Canon’s online ijsetup or an older version that came with the printer when it was new can “see” the printer to set it up, even when connected via USB. I do have a semi-satisfactory work-around of connecting the printer to a computer via USB then sharing that over my LAN, which works for Macs but not so well with iPhone, iPad, etc..

THE DISAPPOINTMENT: When I attempted to chat with Canon tech support I got a person who asked all the identity information, but when I asked about Big Sur, although the connection aparently remained open, there was zero response. I gave up after an hour. I didn’t even get an automated response to an email. I still love my IP110 and plan to keep it, particularly because after a thorough search of the market, the only satisfactory replacement, for my situation, is a recent model Canon that is a direct replacement for the IP110, and is dependent on the same drivers and network setup utility. 🤬

AN INTERESTING OBSERVATION In my search for alternate printers, no matter what brand I looked at, only twenty to twenty-five percent of the models listed were in stock by the manufacturers or major retailors, and those that were in stock, were all too often the lower rated models. Canon’s factory store apologized for supply chain problems due to the COVID-19 virus.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein