Originally Posted by jchuzi
I never upgrade to a new OS until it has had at least one, and preferably two, updates. I always check to see that my critical apps will work before upgrading.
I felt that way years ago, but now I've got a new perspective...

Beginning with the OS X Public Beta through OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) WE, the entire body of Mac users, were not only the beta testers, we paid for the privilege; we were also the beta testers for OS X 10.9 (Mavericks), but at least it was free.

Beginning with OS X 10 (Yosemite), Apple launched the Apple Beta Software Program, which puts pre-release versions of the OS in the hands of the entire spectrum of users, which, I"ll bet the farm, includes both far less and far more involved users than joemike, so it seems pretty fair to say that not only are those dreaded "first one or two updates" already behind us when an OS is released to the public, but considering that there have been upwards of ten releases of each beta, and splitting the difference between the development costs Apple saved on its end and the user contributions on the other end, the Big Sur v 11.0.1 release is probably really v 11.4 or 5.

Therefore, I've got no qualms about taking the general together with joemike's specifics and upgrading to Big Sur as soon as my critical apps are compatible.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire