Originally Posted by joemikeb
NOTES:
  • If you have used CCC's or Tinkertool Systems Full Clone{/I] you will recognize the process (I believe Super Duper's developer rejected offering that option)
  • The target drive will always be completely erased. You must approve the erasure before CCC will proceed. (I haven't had time find out how that happens with automated clones.)
  • The drives entire volume structure is first copied and then everything else is transferred [i]en mass without regard to files and folders per se. The target becomes a true mirror of the source, warts, winkles, and all.
  • I have no explanation for my initial installation and startup difficulties but I have no reason to believe they represent any issue with CCC and hopefully not with macOS 11.0.1 running on Intel instead of Apple SoC. I will not hesitate to use or rely on CCC in the future and look forward to using it on Apple SoC next week.
  • Obviously I misjudged the priority Apple assigned to cloning.😢

FOLLOWUP

I just installed CCC 5.1.23-b3 (6104) and tested it out. In the process I made some discoveries.
  1. If the Destination drive is BLANK CCC will give you three options that only appear when you actually initiate the cloning process: 1. Erase the destination drive and create a bootable clone (this is the Apple en mass clone I described previously) 2. clone the entire system into a volume on the destination drive 3: clone only the data volume
  2. If there is a bootable system on the destination There are two options offered: 1. Copy All Files (this copies only changed files and results in a bootable system) 2. Copy Some files - bootability not considered
  3. I haven't tested all the permutations yet, but I will get around to it eventually.

Last edited by joemikeb; 11/14/20 10:47 PM.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein