Originally Posted By: macnerd10
Vitaly Ginsburg , 93, famous Russian physicist, Nobel prize winner (2003).
Beside being a great scientist, he was a well-known and vocal atheist, and a fighter against clericalization of Russian society.

Okay. The wiki also says:
Quote:
Ginzburg identified himself as a secular Jew, and following the collapse of communism in the former USSR, he was very active in Jewish life, especially in Russia, where he served on the board of directors of the Russian Jewish Congress. He is also well known for fighting anti-Semitism and supporting the state of Israel.

So, color me confused.

I'm not sure why these obituaries are getting more and more obscure, and why the word "atheist" seems to matter so much (at this point). The dude is dead, so -- as far as that goes -- he's finally finding out what's what right now. Anyway, the word atheist seems to be overloaded somewhat. Was he anti-God or was he anti-establishment-who-claim-to-be-God's-representatives-on-Earth? [i.e., sounds more like a social/political/religious matter than one of philosophical/spiritual/metaphysical concern.] A n y w a y.

So what's next... do we start declaring whether these dead folks were straight or gay? How many partners they had? Hmm, haven't any "famous" Devil worshipers died around here yet?

grin crazy