Excellent report, joemikeb! And especially useful for me, as I have a Core I5 Late 2018 Mac MIni with a 256 gig SSD and 8 gig of Ram.

Here is what Dave Nanian stated about SuperDuper! yesterday:

"I'm going to keep this short and to the point.

It's never a good idea to update to a just-released major OS version unless you have to. Nobody knows how reliable Big Sur is going to be for regular users. Let someone else find out before you take the jump.

On our end, SuperDuper! will not be compatible with Big Sur on day of release.

As I indicated on twitter, the first time we were able to make a successful bootable copy of Big Sur at all was November 5th. As of this writing, that was six days ago.

Until that point, it wasn't possible.

So, it's going to be a while. Until then, if you must move to Big Sur, use Time Machine."

That second sentence about never a good idea etc., is so, so accurate. And of course besides questions of reliability, 1) the first few versions of a new Mac OS always contain bugs, and 2) there are still some other third party applications that are not compatible yet. And for me, there are 5 of them, including SuperDuper!. (On another Mac discussion site a visit, a user did state that the latest version of LibreOffice (I have it) is compatible with Big Sur).

From the last few prior releases of the Mac OS, it seems that Onyx and SuperDuper! were finally compatible with the ".2" version. Not sure about Thunderbird, but as folks know (and I've mentioned before), Tech Tool Pro has always been the last one. Suspect it will be the same with Big Sur.

I definitely have no issues with waiting. I do hope, though, to test Big Sur when at least V11.1.x comes out. I have a brand new Samsung 1 TB T7 SSD on the way, and it will be arriving early next week. Will use it to test Big Sur (along with storing other items).

Last edited by MartyByrde; 11/13/20 03:39 AM.