Originally Posted by joemikeb
NOW I UNDERSTAND

I had noticed the MacOS 11.0.1 betas were noticeably slower waking up from sleep and in the initial launch of an app. After. watching today’s event, I realized that Big Sur has been so highly optimized for Apple Silicon it apparently de-optimized some operations for Intel based macs. Be that as it may, I remain more than satisfied with Big Sur’s performance on my Intel based, Mac mini.

I know that some of you will not be pleased by Apple’s continued emphasis on ever thinner and lighter MacBooks and MacBook Pros but, Apple is offfering what appear to be VERY generous trade-ins for the new models with Apple silicon.

Thanks for that, joemikeb. And encouraging to hear that Big Sur is performing fine on your Mac MIni. I have a late 2018 Core i5 Mac Mini, with 8 gig of Ram and a 256 gig SSD, so I am hoping for even better performance by the time I move to Big Sur (most likely in January).

I also noticed how inexpensive the new Silicon-based Mac Minis and MacBook Airs are. In fact, $699 for a Mac Mini with 8 gig of Ram and a 256 gig SSD is an excellent price! My current late 2018 Mac Mini is only 9 months old (got it near mid February of this year), so it still works well. My MacBook Air is a mid 2017 model, with 8 gig of Ram and a 252 gig SSD. If I were to purchase a Silicon-based machine, the Air would be first. But of course that will have to wait for third party compatibility, although I understand Big Sur has something "Rosetta-like" to address that issue.