Originally Posted by artie505
I think I once said it here, but I"ll say it again: It's no longer the United States of America; it's now the Blue States of America and the Red States of America conjoined at the government.
More like the Red suburbs and Blue cities. Even in deeply red Texas all of the major cities, including notoriously conservative Dallas and Fort Worth, voted Democratic. Those voters who cannot tolerate diversity have fled to the suburbs.

Originally Posted by ryck
That presents a huge challenge, and we know that Jo Biden is committed to closing the divide. However, right now we can only hope that Mitch McConnell and other Republicans have some sort of an epiphany that causes them to realize they represent Americans, not just Republican bases.
One hopeful note, Biden and McConnell worked together successfully when Biden was in the senate and later when he was vice-president. 🤞

Originally Posted by artie505
And he's not going to shut up just because he's no longer the imaginary emperor, and that's frightening.
It would appear Trump would rather see the republic crumble than accept a loss. But based on the reaction around the country it also appears a lot of Trump voters are just as glad to see him out of office as Democrats are. They are still conservatives and Republicans but not Trumpists. On a positive note: Reports are coming from White House insiders indicate the all the lawsuits are just an effort to help Trump accept the truth that he actually lost the election.

Originally Posted by ryck
Maybe he can be distracted by an all-out federal government assault on his business books. The next big headline I’d like to see is: “Donald Trump headed to jail for tax fraud”.
As tempting as Trump in jail sounds, I don't think the United States truly wants to see a former president in jail. Bankrupt, convicted of fraud, accounts frozen, federal and state liens on all his properties here and abroad — 👍. Jail — 👎. However, if the rumors of his overseas loans and bank accounts, and questions about his campaign funds are true, he is guilty of violating numerous federal and state statutes, possibly even treason. So maybe not jail, but close house arrest for the next 30 years or so? (Is there a U.S. possession equivalent to Elba? Guantanamo Bay probably wouldn't work.)

It has been suggested, Trump might retire to a country that has no extradition treaty with the United States to escape prosecution, but he has had access to too much highly classified information to permit that to happen. He could too easily unintentionally or intentionally sell us out. Neither he or any of his family and confidants confidants, has ever demonstrated even a remote understanding of, or concern for, national security or secrecy.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein