Originally Posted by joemikeb
Originally Posted by MartyByrde
From what I can remember, and especially recently, this is the latest time a new mac OS has not been released yet. I wonder if Big Sur is much more challenging for Apple, or if Apple is deliberately timing Big Sur's release with their Silicon Event expected to happen on November 9th, or possibly both. Either way, all the more reason to exercise caution in moving/upgrading to OS 11, especially the first few versions. As I mentioned previously, I will test Big Sur (probably after V11.1 is released) on a separate external SSD.
You might be interested in the MacOS 11.0.1 release Notes. If you are not interested in the technical details I can sum them up by saying they won't effect you until you buy a computer with Apple Silicon or will be developing apps intended to run on Apple Silicon. The consensus is MacOS 11.0 wlll be released next week concurrent with the announcement of a MacBook and iMac with Apple Silicon.

There is nothing to indicate anything related to clones or cloning.

I do not plan on purchasing a Mac with Apple Silicon, at least not in the "near" future. But no matter when the first version of Big Sur is released, it is still later than recent versions of the mac OS. Also, as I've mentioned before, first few versions will have bugs. And, of course, there is the issue of third party software compatibility. LibreOffice did release a new version yesterday, but it is not for Big Sur compatibility. Additionally, as has been the case in the past, software like Onyx, SuperDuper!, Carbon Copy Cloner, and Tech Tool Pro (and ones similar to it) are dealing with "disk level" tasks, and thus require more development time and testing. I also need to see an update for Thunderbird for such compatibility.

I will do my own Big Sur testing probably after V11.1 arrives. Meanwhile, I'll keep reading about experiences others are having. Catalina works just fine.

And yes, nothing in that link related to clones or cloning. Guess we'll just have to wait to hear from Bombich Software and Shirt Pocket Software regarding such compatibility. Myself, I require full compatibility for SD, ie, it makes the necessary backups like now, and those backups must be bootable.

PS: Just checked the Blogs for both SD and CCC, and nothing about this at all.

Last edited by MartyByrde; 10/30/20 10:36 PM.