Originally Posted by joemikeb
Having gone through a number of credit card numbers as a result of suspected fraud over the years, I empathize with your caution. That is exactly why I use Apple Pay or PayPal whenever possible for credit card transactions. Either dramatically reduces the exposure of my credit card numbers either in storage and especially during transmission. But realistically there is no way to keep credit card information off of the internet. Even if you never buy anything on the internet the information is in the bank's records and therefore vulnerable. In the end all anyone can do is take reasonable precautions and do business with financial institutions that have aggressive and vigilant fraud protection programs.

A piece of advice learned the hard way: Credit Card losses due to fraud are limited to $50 by federal statute. Debit card losses have no loss limit protection and can potentially exceed the balance of your account, even your net worth. (FTC article 0213) Don't risk using your Debit card on the internet.

Well stated! And I never use either of my debit cards for such transactions. I only use them at the appropriate ATMs. I will say, though, that back in the early 90's, I did have an issue with using my Debit Card at an appropriate ATM. All got resolved in my favor, but it sure was bizarre!

Last edited by MartyByrde; 10/29/20 09:30 PM.