Originally Posted by artie505
We're more or less thinking in the same direction, although I expect that I"ll substitute updates for your clean installs.

We differ about waiting for app updates/grades. I haven't even had anything like Disk Warrior, TechTool Pro, or Onyx installed on my MBP in - literally - years. DW and TTP, in particular, have both reached points at which they're stretching to keep relevant (It began years ago when DW added checking xml files to its functionality.), because their basic usefulness is no longer...well...particularly useful.

And remember that since Apple allowed DW and TTP to be distributed as d/l's rather than on discs they've been immediately available should we need them, and there's been no real need to pay for upgrades before we actually NEED them.

It took a lot of years for Apple to get there, but their OS finally does "just work!" smile

Accordingly, my only critical app is CCC.

Artie we are starting to think more and more alike, but CCC, while convenient, is NOT on my critical list.
  • I make full use of iCloud, both my Desktop and Documents folders are mirrored from iCloud along with the Music and Photos libraries, keychain, mail, etc.. Not only does that keep all of my Apple devices in perfect sync, it conserves storage space on all of them as well, and after self-induced disasters has been instrumental in recovering not only my iPad and iPhone, but to my surprise and great relief, Mac mini as well.
  • Between the Recovery Drive, Time machine, and iCloud the primary reason I have for a clone would be speed of recovery from a disaster and I would still are likely to end up resorting to Migration Assistant and Time Machine, or relying on iCloud to recover the latest changes.

…so I can easily get by without a clone.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein