I was only comparing the Network settings as suggested by Artie.

Originally Posted by joemikeb
None of this has any bearing on your network connectivity issue, but since you brougth it up....

[quote=plantsower]I looked at my Macs side-by-side as you suggested, and there were no major differences.

I have colored the operative words red. Differences that seem minor can sometimes be highly significant. Where speed is concerned, the AGE of a machine is by definition a major factor. In all likelihood your old Mac is only slow when compared to your new Mac. Maybe, but I got the new one because the older one was so very slow without a comparison to a new one. Your new Mac almost certainly has a processor running at a high clock rate, probably has more "cores", and maybe has a different internal architecture (i5 vs. i7) that is inherently more efficient. Add to that, software developers and website designers build for the latest and greatest and throw ever increasing processing loads at your computer which serves to magnify the processors performance differences.

To put this in perspectice, I have a late 2012 Mac mini that was the top of the line when new (I remember thinking how fast it was at the time) and a 2018 Mac mini that was top of the line when I bought it. The single-core GeekBench score of the 2012 machine is 3/4 that of the 2018 machine and the multi-core score is only 1/2. So theoretically the newer machine is anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2 times as fast than its elder sibling. That makes the 2012 Mac mini "feel" almost glacial when I use it.

SIDEBAR: Processor clock rate (speed) is not the only indicator of overall processor performance. I could have opted for a 3.6 GHz i3 processor but instead went with the 3.2GHz i7 because the i7 processes data 20% faster in spite of its 20% slower clock rate.

Stats:
MBP mid-2012
Dual Core i5
GHz 2.5
Storage 500gb/452 available
Memory 4 gb
Intel HD graphics 4000/1536 mb

MBP mid-2015
Dual Core i5
GHz 2.7
Storage 125 SSD/81.62 available
Memory 8 gb
Intel Iris graphics 6100/1536 mb

BTW: I tried to list the stats side by side but that didn't work. Is there way to use tabs here to indent?

And again, the 2012 MBP was notably slower than it ever was before I bought the 2015. It's not just a slow loading internet, it takes forever to load anything up.

I don't know how to do a clock speed test. And, is there no hope of increasing my speed in the 2012 without buying a new processor?

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8