Originally Posted by joemikeb
Originally Posted by artie505
No arguments with any of that, but if you're concerned about a message having been delivered, waiting for "Received" is certainly a useful step, and if you neither see it nor get a response you're alerted to maybe resend.

A message's merely having been consigned to the "ether" is insufficient.

Which is why, when a message is really important, I use email in spite of text message convenience. The SMS/MMS system is based on the old "Pager" system and lacks the reliability assurance features of either POP or IMAP. (Admittedly, the receipt and read acknowledgement features are not activated on most IMAP and POP servers, but they are there.)

Personally I find iMessages (blue bubble in Message) more likely to do what you want than SMS/MMS (green bubble in Message) and are synchronized across all my devices. Whereas incoming SMS/MMS messages have to be indivdually deleted on each device.
Not having cellular service on my iPhone, I've got no experience with green bubbles, but I use Messages any time I want a quick response, because the recipient is likely to see a message sooner than an email, and if I don't see that "Received," I know to resend.

The Internet, being what it is, though, I"ve had both messages and emails evaporate into thin air before reaching me or, as the case may be, my "sendee." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire