Originally Posted by artie505
How about reversing that procedure and cloning your data volume to an external drive that's already got macOS installed on it?

An interesting idea, but sadly one that does not work. I just tried re-cloning the data volume on my bootable Big Sur clone. The cloning process was very quick, but when I attempted to boot the re-cloned drive i kept getting a reversed ⌀ symbol and finally had to quit the process with the power switch. 😖

Ah-well, it was worth a try. I just wish it weren't going to take so long to re-install Big Sur on the drive after I erase it and once again clone the data volume to the drive. 🤷‍♂️ Although I don't really know why I am going to do that as the critical data stores will never be current on the cloned volume. But it is a shame to have such a fast external SSD sitting around unused. 🙅‍♂️

💡 {Bright Idea} On second thought, as my Documents and Desktop folders are technically on the iCloud, rather than re-cloning I might just boot from the clone and allow enough time for the data to "settle" and I would be back up and running with no data loss and no need to reclone the data. While I know that would not work for those who eschew the iCloud, it might just be the answer for those of us who are willing to turn on storing the Docuents and Desktop folders in the cloud. No clone would be needed, just a second bootable drive on the same Apple ID account and iCloud. The only question would be the applications, drivers, and other such "stuff". I feel another experiment coming on.

Last edited by joemikeb; 10/08/20 09:06 PM. Reason: BRIGHT IDEA

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein