The DNS numbers are used sequentially beginning at the top of the list. If the first DNS server does not respond then it goes to the next and so on. Chances are the one that is being used is the first one on the list.

Possibly, but it was always first on the list and when I added the 8.8.8.8 etc. to the end of the list that's when it started to work.

Originally Posted by plantsower
I still don't understand what Imgur had against my .png screenshots. They were just short paragraphs. Oh well.

Are you sure they were PNG? and not PDF? Yep, looking a 'em now on my desktop.

DITCH THE 192.168.9.1 that is an address on your local area network, specifically your router in almost all cases. That in turn passes everything that does not start with 192 to the DNS server at your ISP (192 addresses never leave the local area network). Since it is pretty obvious your ISP was in a world of hurt that would likely make that address less than useless, but because of protocol it would be the first queried and if it responded the other addresses would never be used. I programmed my router to use the OpenDNS servers (208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220) instead of my ISPs server. The response time is faster than my ISP and I don't get some of the questionable routing, advertising, and junk that is sometimes encountered through an ISP's router.

Good to know. I deleted the 192.... address just incase.

Originally Posted by plantsower
The speedtest.net doesn't work either. I finally tried other speed tests they they work fine.

GET RID OF THE 192.168.9.1 DNS SERVER ADDRESS and I will bet Speedtest will come back to life. [/quote] After I deleted the 192 DNS number, the speed test app still does not work, but it works on the website now. Thanks.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8