~/ is shorthand for your home folder - good to know.
Any reference to the Library folder is the Library folder in your home folder, ie; Users/ritamontague/Library (or in shorthand Unix ~/Library) - Good to know.

Some changes to Finder > Preferences might help make things more obvious to you:
  • Finder > Preferences > General > New Finder windows will show: -- For safety, I recommend you set this to your username, as you seldom need to get outside of your home folder. My home folder is under my actual name with the house next to it. Is there something else I should name, and if so, how do I do that?
  • Finder > Preferences > Sidebar -- I would check all of the items under Favorites or only UNcheck those you never use. NOTE: all of these are in your user folder [u]except Applications which is at the volume root. Done.
  • Finder View -- I find the Column view works best for me as it parallels the hierarchical structure of the folders and files. but then I started out before there was any such thing as a graphical user interface. My wife's preference is the icon view because she could care less about the hierarchical file structure and focuses either on the file itself of the File > Open dialog within the app she is using. The list view, gives more information about the files and folders. The gallery view is a bit of a cross between the icon view and the column view. You have to make the choice of which fits better with the way you organize your thinking, but as you are getting used to thinking in terms of

I prefer list view and icon view, depending on what I am looking for.

I don't know if this helps or not. It does. It took some of the mystery out of it for me. I don't understand about roots, but the other stuff made sense.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8