Originally Posted By: alternaut
Originally Posted By: ryck
... but what about possible security issues arising from the stolen Intel chip data?

What about it indeed. Right now we don’t know if or when the purloined data will be transformed into malware; it’s just a possibility. And even should such malware appear, chances are that the user can avoid it, as stated in Jon’s linked article: “As it is with any malware, it must be installed to the computer in order to attack. If any such malware is created by this, users will have to willingly bypass the security protocols built into macOS. Some attacks can be hidden within files or physical drives, so always be aware of where your hardware or software is coming from.”

No need to quote the article about the things that users should be doing to protect themselves. In our home that has been the modus operandi for a long time and, in fact, we go a step further. Whenever we receive a phishing email we forward it to the company who it is purported to be from, and we include complete Header information.

And as soon as Apple gets hacked (a question of time, really), that'd also apply to its hardware. Meanwhile, there is tons of unrelated malware around, and then I’m not even talking about the ‘legal’ all-invasive government and commercial undermining of net security and privacy, which is being hacked regular as clockwork. So again, what about it?

Perhaps my question should have been clearer. Not having a full understanding of the technical possibilities of the Intel chip data being in the wrong hands, my concern was about the potential for placing malware on the computers of people who do comply with the security protocols built into the MacOS - by bypassing those user efforts. Your response doesn’t expand my knowledge in that regard.

And as soon as Apple gets hacked (a question of time, really), that'd also apply to its hardware.

If you are correct, and there is an inevitability to Apple being hacked, I would feel a hell of a lot more comfortable with Apple being “on the case” to solve a security issue involving Apple chips than I would with Intel addressing a security issue with Intel chips.

Last edited by ryck; 08/10/20 08:20 AM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C