Originally Posted By: plantsower
On my older Mac it says blue tooth not connected, but then I turned it off the night before. I checked my new Mac and the blue tooth icon is on my toolbar and says it's on, but when I checked in the Networks, it Bluetooth not connected. Maybe that just means it's not connected to a blue tooth device, I'm not sure.

The Not connected simply means there is no Bluetooth network connection for sharing data between devices and has nothing to do with whether Bluetooth is turned on or off or whether any Bluetooth devices are paired with your computer.

I think I've figured out why turning off Bluetooth worked, and the answer is a combination of your new WiFi router and the progress in Bluetooth technology and protocols over the past 8 years. I suspect you are connecting to your WiFi network using the 2.4GHz band (channels 1 through 40). Bluetooth also operates in the 2.4GHz band so there is the possibility of interference.

On the assumption that like most modern WiFi routers, your new router is dual-band (2.4 & 5 GHz) you might try logging onto a 5GHz channel (channel 44 and up). Not only would this eliminate possible interference from Bluetooth devices, but you would also get up to 4 times the bandwidth (speed).

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein