The internet isn't becoming a dangerous place to be; it is already a dangerous place to be.

I have a new appreciation of sites that allow you to log in using Apple login thanks to a letter I received from a doctor's office Saturday. The letter reported a data breach at their office, which exposed everything needed to steal your identification and offering a year of free ID protection including scanning the dark web as compensation. Since the service was free, I signed up, and a few hours later received my first report and it was an eye-opener! 😳

The report revealed, my identity has been exposed one to three times each year since 2013 by data breaches at companies I do business with via the internet. 🤬 The recommended safety measure in each data breach is changing the password for every account that uses that email address as a login ID even if they all use different passwords. As a matter of routine security, I do refresh passwords on the most vulnerable accounts periodically and I no longer re-use a password. Still, I have close to a hundred logins that use the same email address as the ID and changing all of those every time there is a data breach somewhere just isn't going to happen.

Although, to the best of my knowledge, I have not been directly targeted yet, it was at this point, I realized the benefit of logging in everywhere with Apple. Apple login provides multiple layers of hiding and protection and in the end the site receives a one-time, time-limited, password and hidden ID. A lot of sites offer Google or Facebook logon, but I haven't had a Facebook account in years, and I actively try to hide where I browse from Google so those won't do. For a while now, I have urged everyone to be cautious on the web. Effective today, I am urging the online sites I do business with to offer Apple logon.

"All you've got to do is own up to your ignorance
honestly, and you'll find people who are eager to
fill your head with information"
--Walt Disney