Originally Posted By: kevs
1) I did auto update per your suggestion, but if I wanted to keep the 11" as long as possible maybe I should turn that off and wait 8 months after Big Sur comes out?
Why turn off Auto Update? If your MacBook won't support Big Sur, Auto Update won't try to install it, but in the meantime it will keep Catalina and all your App Store apps up to date.

Originally Posted By: kevs
2) Apple offers $100 trade-in for the 11" . Think I should that or could I get more... $250 or $300 on eBay? I think I did get $300 on my last laptop sale...
3- no more 11" MacBook airs..

Apple doesn't necessarily offer the most generous trade-in prices but they are very convenient. My crystal ball 🔮is notoriously cloudy (some unkind people would say it is a moldy-oldy 🙄) and I have no idea what your MacBook Air will be worth 8 months after the next MacBook comes out. I can venture three possible directions its market value could go...
  1. The value of any Mac with Intel processors will go up because of market loyalty to Intel, but I expect that would be short-lived. ⇡
  2. The value of your MacBook Air will take a sharp drop if it will not run Big Sur and because it is rapidly reaching official obsolesence ➘
  3. The value of any Mac with an Intel processor will tank because Apple is switching to their own SoC (System on a Chip) beginning with the MacBook Pro. ⬇︎ (A prospect all of us are facing.)
I think it is safe to say the market value of your MacBook Air (and my Mac mini 😢) will never be higher than it is today. That is NOT a recommendation for buying now! Personally, I will wait until I can get a Mac with an Apple SoC and eat the loss in value of my Mac with Intel inside.

"All you've got to do is own up to your ignorance
honestly, and you'll find people who are eager to
fill your head with information"
--Walt Disney