Originally Posted By: kevs
Thanks Joe this APfs is all new as it's mandatory to format the boot to apfs, (not data partitions that can still be apple journaled) for super dupers workaround due the Catalinas mayhem created by Apple. Here is overview on desktop:
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/rFfDZkXm/Screen-Shot-2020-07-09-at-11-06-25-PM.png[/img]
Apple's mayhem, as you call it, is a giant step forward in so many ways. It is far more flexible and secure and provides a bridge into the future that HFS+ has become to antiquated to support.

Originally Posted By: kevs
What happened to the partitions? When you erase a disk the partitions both go/ get erated? I should now just partition again?
If you erase a DRIVE the partitions are removed as well. With APFS, Apple encourages creating volumes instead of partitioning. Volumes are far more flexible and adaptable. I would clone the boot drive to the Untitled disk using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper then using Disk Utility create an additional volume on the drive and copy the contents of MAIN 5TB to that volume. Then you could clone that entire drive to your off-site bank drive.

By-the-way my off-site drive is iCloud and it works great and avoids a 350 mile round trip to my bank.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein