Since I brought it up, I will add my considered opinion of Grammarly. The free version offers three features
  1. Spell checking -- it is more intrusive than the normal Apple spell checker. Still, the intrusiveness does help prevent the almost ubiquitous spell check glitches from the Apple spell checker, and therefore opinion, and worth the intrusion.
  2. Grammar checking -- head and shoulders better than the standard Apple grammar checking. As I mentioned previously, it does a great job with punctuation and syntax.
  3. Tone detection -- an experimental feature at this point that detects and appraises the tone of the writing. Whether it is formal or informal, forceful, optimistic, etc. Tone detection could be very useful in business correspondence or academia.

The premium features are
  • Vocabulary enhancement -- suggesting alternate wordings and avoiding hackneyed phraseology
  • Plagerism detection -- what it purports to be.
Whether the premium features are worth $12 a month or not is up to the user. If I were a graduate student working on my thesis or dissertation or back at my software engineering job writing software documentation and manuals, it would be invaluable and well worth $12 a month.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein