> Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that? My husband has a fairly new Gateway computer. I plugged the "Dell" keyboard into it and it recognized it immediately. Just for fun I plugged in the external Gateway keyboard, and it worked too. It must be my OS. Interesting!! Well, I guess there's no fixing it, but now we know the keyboard is good!!!!

I guess that's something, despite the fact that it's counter-productive.

Last gasp...

Try an Archive & Install. (Be certain to check the "Preserve User and Network Settings" box if such is your intention and to back up any data you can't afford to lose.)

Boot from your install disc, and run Utilities>Disk Utility>"Repair Disk" before running A & I, but do not run A & I until DU has returned a clean bill-of-health; if it repairs anything, rerun it "n" times until it no longer does so. (DiskWarrior, TechTool Pro, and DriveGenius are all preferable to DU.)

An A & I is generally quick and painless, but the specifics of your installation may complicate it.

Once again, good luck! smile

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire