Originally Posted By: kevs
Thanks JOe:

Before I do that test: Post Catalina, I getting bunch of issue on desktop not seeing on laptop:

word/ Excel: command N, not bring up new document.

Per Microsoft advice: I booted into Safe Mode, and issue went away.

(but I don't know why)

Rather than reinventing the wheel I refer your to this Apple support article on how to use safe mode on your Mac. if you follow the steps in that article and the articles it references you may be able to isolate and fix the problem. NOTE: when the article refers to startup items, that includes launch daemons, launch items, as well as apps in your startup list.

Originally Posted By: kevs
other issues:

Photoshop dekstop: wont import old preferences from previous version. Does import those ok on laptop

Parallels: wont drag items from Mac finder (that said not sure post catalina issue or normal issue yet)

Application wizard, asking for registration upon reboot (though getting that same issue from A text on laptop-- post catalina also

So real biggie is the Word/ Excel issue on dektop and weird thump sound issue..

And Word / Excel does not open document command N, which goes away in safe mode. Any idea why?

Just take things one at a time and remember when referencing Microsoft apps the version of the app makes a BIG difference so be sure and specify the version number.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein