I have an Apple Time Capsule running firmware v7.8.1. I have automatic updates switched on and that's the latest that it has installed although there is, i believe, a v7.9.1 out there. i am assuming that my TC version won't accept the latest firmware.

On to the problem.

For the past couple of days or so, although 2 iMacs (Catalina and Snow Leopard) and one iPad pro and iPhone SE 2020 can all see the TC's network and work with it - it connects to the web and I can print wirelessly via it. When I am able to enter Time Machine all my backups are there.

However, Time Machine and Airport Utility keep losing sight of it even when I can still use it as a wifi access point. Time Machine says the back up device isn't configured and Airport Utility cannot see it at all.

The only solution is to turn the Time Capsule off and on again. It then reappears and stays "visible' for between minutes and hours and then disappears again.

The green light on the front of the Time Capsule remains a steady green and my Airport Utility > Preferences > Monitor Airport base stations for problems is ticked, as are the two sub-options of Only monitor Airport base stations that I have configured and Monitor Airport base stations over the internet using Bonjour.

To be frank, i'm not fully sure what these last two do, but the description says that if an error is detected then Airport Utility will open automatically as a warning.

it never has.

Is my Time capsule failing? Is there something that I can do to stop the amazing partial disappearance trick? Am I being [more] stupid [than usual] and overlooking the bleeding obvious?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by iBozz; 06/13/20 06:35 PM.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017); 3.8 GHz Intel Core i5; 2TB HD; 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 RAM; Radeon Pro 580 8 GB. iPad Pro 10.5" Model MPME2B/A with 512GB capacity; iPhone SE 2020 256GB