1. So what do I think?
    • A move to ARM processors for the Mac will be announced. Intel is missing too many release dates and really struggling to meet new performance goals. Because of Apples experience custom designing ARM processors for the iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, etc. — by far their biggest selling products — it is a natural fit and would enable Apple to optimize performance and features for MacOS as well as iOS/iPadOS.
    • The MacBook is almost too obvious a choice because of the ARM processor's low power consumption and low heat output, but the iMac is due for a refresh and an iMac as thin as an iPad would be a spectacular upgrade. I am betting the first ARM processor will be in the iMac with a ARM based MacBook release in the fall.
    • If it has cellular capability it is an iPad and if not its a MacBook❓Could be 😳
    • Performance will be the big question and there are those who argue Intel processors are just too powerful to overcome, but like ARM, the AMD is also a RISC (Reduced Instruction Set Computer) design and is arguably outperforming Intel processors. Given Apple's ability to optimize the ARM for their own operating systems, I would expect the ARM based Mac to be at least as fast, if not faster, than running on Intel.
    • Last year Apple announced a new set of APIs that would enable developers to write the same code to run on either MacOS or iOS/iPadOS. While I have not seen any tangible results of that, the capability is there. There are definitely some iOS/iPadOS apps I wish would run on my Mac and there are a couple of MacOS apps that I really wish had full featured iPadOS versions. So adding some MacOS functions to iOS/iPadOS could make full or nearly full app inter-compatibility within reach. 👏
    • …or maybe the answer is not this year 🤷‍♂️
  2. What new features would I like to see…
    • There are some iOS/iPadOS apps I would like to have on my Mac. Lets face it, you can't beat the bigger monitor and in many cases the iOS/iPadOS app is quicker, easier, and more convenient than the web interface via Safari (or any other browser for that matter).
    • Three major wishes for iPadOS...
      1. A true Finder (The Files app is a step in the right direction but it doesn't go far enough.)
      2. Spotlight (Not so much for Spotlight per. se. but for some app features that rely on Spotlight functionality.)
      3. Honest to God full blown multi-tasking
    • For iOS I am sure Apple will come up with something I just can't live without, but right now I am living without even knowing what it is. 😜

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein