OK, thank you!

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Originally Posted By: plantsower
I guess what is confusing me is why I can't just detach my external drive like I always do when I'm done with it and go into my OS on my internal drive minus the external drive being attached. I don't want to have to tell my Mac which drive to go into every time. Besides, there will only be one OS (Catalina or the next one) on my internal drive anyway. I've decided not to put more than one OS on my SSD as you've suggested. Plus, I have found that once I relegate an older OS to my external drive, I rarely go there again. Of course, I would be putting my new OS on the external drive, also. I need to keep this really, really simple as I do now. I honestly don't feel the need to back up everyday. There is nothing that important on my Mac that I need to do this and really don't want to.

If I were using a desktop computer it would be a simple thing to keep my external drive connected. I only have a laptop which I actually use on my lap. It's too awkward to keep the external drive connected because of logistics and it's short cable. It has come out of the USB port more than once because I had the audacity to move in my chair. smirk

Just consider this a special case in this specific instance of "cleaning up" both your flash drive and external HD.

Once you have completed the task of cleaning up the partioning on both your drives you can
  1. Power your Mac down completely
  2. Disconnect the external drive
  3. boot from the Recovery drive...
    1. Be sure your MacBook is plugged in
    2. press the power button
    3. press and hold Option+Command+R (⌥⌘R) until you see the Apple logo
    4. at the prompt select your user account and enter the password
    5. if prompted enter the password for your WiFi network
  4. Select the option to install/reinstall the latest version of MacOS (Catalina)
...and all your settings, data, and applications will be intact (albeit some apps may not run). Clean, simple, and as easy as it gets

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8