Wow, I am so sorry you woke up at 4 a.m. worried. It was probably warranted. LOL! But thanks. So sorry.

Today is not a good day to do this but soon. I don't understand all the directions completely, but hopefully as I bumble along on each step, it will become clear.

BTW, I use SuperDuper.

Just to clarify steps 6 thru 8:

6. Click on my Sierra clone and reboot (restart the computer after I enter Sierra Clone)?

7. Run for several hours, etc. Got it.

8. Select Mac HD from Start up Disk and reboot. (Restart?). After I run Sierra Clone for several hours (or a day) and then remove Ext. HD, first? I don't normally have to pick a startup disk after I remove my Ext. Drive. But, maybe this is a special situation?

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Believe it or not I woke up this morning at 4:00 AM worried you might do something to get into trouble.

Originally Posted By: plantsower
OK. Yes, I have Sierra on an external drive which I guess I am supposed to erase and use again because maybe it's in a million pieces from what I've read here.

IMMEDIATELY IF NOT SOONER AND BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE...
  1. use Disk Utility to erase and partition your external HD to a single partition (GUID partiton scheme, Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
  2. Verify you are running the latest version of Carbon Copy Cloner by going to Carbon Copy Cloner > Check For Updates
  3. Clone MACINTOSH HD to your external HD
  4. Control+Click on your external HD and select Rename from the drop down menu
  5. Rename the external HD Sierra Clone to prevent confusion
  6. in System Preferences > Startup Drive select Sierra Clone and reboot (NOTE: it will take a lot longer because your external drive is a LOT slower than your flash drive.)
  7. Run from the external drive for several hours — even a day or two — to be sure the clone is good
  8. in System Preferences > Startup Drive select MACINTOSH HD and reboot
  9. In order to keep your two drives synchronized clone MACINTOSH HD to Sierra Clone every day (you can automate that in CCC).

I guess I will call up Disk Utility and erase my partitions for Mojave and Catalina and just install a new O.S. when I am ready. It will incorporate the stuff I have on Sierra which is what I want to keep it simple.

Getting rid of partitions is not always straight forward or easy because deleting a partition is not enough you have to expand another partition to encompass the newly freed up disk space and that can be tricky and can cause data loss. That is why I said to be sure you have a good clone first.

AN EASY WAY TO GET RID OF YOUR PARTITIONS ON YOUR flash drive assuming you have performed the previous steps:
  1. Boot from your Sierra Clone
  2. Launch Disk Utility and erase/repartition MACINTOSH HD to a single partiton (GUID partition scheme, Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format)
  3. Launch Crbon Copy Cloner and Clone Sierra Clone to MACINTOSH HD
  4. In System Preferences > Startup Drive choose MACINTOSH HD as the startup drive and Reboot.

Though I know I will lose some of my ad blocking apps.

Lose some gain more. I have gotten rid of all but WIPR with no increase in annoying adds but major improvement in site specific control within Safari/Safari Technology Preview itself. I haven't lost any functionality I needed or wanted just adjusted to new controls.

NOTE: Please don't make assumptions and/or bypass any of these steps. Print them out and check them off as you do each one just to be sure you don't miss something.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8