Yeah, I know. I wish I was braver, but I've heard so many negatives (don't ask, I can't remember) that I hesitate. Maybe someday.

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Originally Posted By: plantsower
I am probably not going to upgrade until I have to since I found out my problem was with my router anyway much to your chagrin I'm sure! I am not going to worry about the view preferences that keep changing either, because this has become a very complicated process. If I feel up to it, I will put my plist back into Finder and start over. Or I may not. I appreciate everyone's time, but this is too much for something as trivial as a view pref not staying put! smile

Actually Rita, in retrospect, the whole exercise should have taken at most five minutes. The procedure is quite simple and has been around since the first MacOS beta release, but that was/is a big part of the problem. We have used it many many times in the past to solve exactly this kind of problem and we all assumed that it would still work the same way as before. But, while we weren't looking Apple had moved the pieces on the chessboard, and you, quite reasonably, assumed the Library in the sidebar of your Finder window was the user Library. So we all had a chance to once again learn what happens when we ASS U ME. blush

Hopefully this won't put you off upgrading. One reason we missed the change is because MacOS has become so stable we seldom, if ever, need the "trick" any more — I haven't needed it in years. That and as Artie pointed out, our lack of out of date OS versions to use as exemplars for troubleshooting are to my mind good reasons for you to bite the bullet and upgrade to Catalina. After all, next month Apple will presumably announce Catalina's successor and I will be running MacOS 10.16 not to mention iOS and iPadOS 14, public betas. 🤯

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8