It sounds like it's been well thought out.

The issue I raised earlier about Bluetooth range is apparently addressed by

Originally Posted By: MacRumors
...the system knows Eric was exposed to COVID-19 for 10 minutes on Tuesday, and that he was standing close to the person who exposed him based on the Bluetooth signal strength between their two phones, allowing the app to provide the appropriate information.

I assume it would be dependent upon the app that uses the API to track 2nd (and later) generation alerts, i.e. if Eric subsequently tests positive, to record it as an extension of the alert he received rather than as an independent event, which would be useful info.

Under any circumstances, though, even though an alert can't really help you, it can potentially contribute to slowing the disease's spread by removing you from circulation. (It would be wonderful if the alert could tell you whether the person who exposed you was standing in front of you or behind you, and even better, if se was wearing a mask! tongue )

And someday it will hopefully be able to tell you to get a shot to protect yourself.

Side question: Is it impossible for some reason for Apple to inject the API into older versions of iOS as a security update, similar to what they do with macOS, in order to reach a wider audience?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire