Originally Posted By: artie505
But how do you edit text once it's been pasted (or typed) into the tiny iPhone field, and with no cursor, to boot?

Did I say it was easy? 😜 That is why I bought an iPhone 11 Pro Max — it has a larger screen to accommodate for my old eyes and fat fingers. 👴🏻 In fact if a text is more than a few words long I will dictate it — but that almost inevitably will require some editing due either to my Texas drawl or an overly helpful spelling/grammar checker.
  • As for editing, you can
    • tap anywhere in the text entry field to create an insertion point
    • press and hold to create a selection field
    • drag the handles on the insertion field to change the size of the selection field
    • Cut, copy, paste, or overtype a selection field
    • insert emoji
  • It is not a full blown editor but certainly sufficient for text messages.
  • If you need more than that you can edit in Pages then paste into Messages. That doesn't make the screen larger but it does expand on the editing capabilities.
  • If your eyes are tired and/or the text is simply too small to see, I have Text Size on call in the iOS Control Center to quickly and easily make things larger.
    (I don't remember if Control Center is available in your iOS version or not, it is accessed by a swipe from top right to bottom left and can be customized in Settings > Control Center).
  • In Settings > Accessibility you will find a variety of options to make viewing (and editing) on the small screen easier but are too numerous to go into here.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein