Originally Posted By: kevs
For me it's just getting used to paying $250 for hosting PLUS these security add ons.. which doubles or triples the cost.

As I said I no longer have a web site because I could not justify the cost. It is also why more and more companies are hosting their sites on Facebook rather than having their own web site.

Originally Posted By: keys
So this is all about progressive march towards mayhem in our sick world, ie, every 5 years hacking and security become more and more of issue/ Crazy.. So I've skated by for 20 years, lucky in that I'm fairly low profile, that said.. I'll probably be taking your advice on renewal!.

Watch any police procedural show and in almost every episode you will hear the phrase "follow the money". That is exactly what is happening on the internet and the bad guys are following the money. They aren't particularly interested in targeting the big guys. They go for volume. If they hit enough little guys they can easily make $billions and the little guys don't have the international clout necessary to get the multi-national cooperation necessary for successful prosecution of the criminals. So the bad guys send out bots to find vulnerable computers and sites with no regard for who they hit or how much money the targets or doesn't have. It is essentially a form of sales boiler room and like a boiler room they rely on a very small percentage of successful hits. It is extremely lucrative, the chances of being caught are minuscule, and the chances of actual criminal prosecution even more minuscule it is too attractive for any talented programmer with a larcenous streak to pass up.

Originally Posted By: keys
SSL you know much about? Their standard service is $60 year, but I paid triple that for the deluxe: I have a lot of mixed content..(normal html and wordpress)..Not sure I need to stay with deluxe once that sort that out.. but maybe I do..?

SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) is actually a deprecated term, the current name is TLS (Transport Layer Security) but the end result is the same. It encrypts communications between the website and the user/customer of that website (Ie. HTTPS]. If your site has a shopping cart or is receiving personal information, or possibly "chatting" via your site you owe it to the user to have TLS in place. If you do business in the EU via the site HTTPS is legally mandatory. If your site is strictly "read only" the only thing TLS buys you or your viewer is a warm fuzzy feeling that your site is secure.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein