Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Quote:
Your participation in light of its apparent potential to cause you much personal anxiety is beyond admirable

Thanks for the admirable comment, but I do not see the API as causing me anything more than possible mild annoyance, and potentially saving lives — mine included. Pretty much the same reaction I had to the mandatory TB testing when I was exposed to someone with active Tuberculosis.

I'll answer that and then walk back my answer.

With the 100 meter Bluetooth range we've been assuming you'd be at risk of getting constant "false positives" from people around the corner, across the river, and 23 stories up in the high-rise you walked past. You could wind up having to self-quarantine every two weeks because of "contact" with people with whom you had absolutely no contact, i.e. "much personal anxiety."

BUT! Following one of alternaut's links led me to a doc that mentioned that one system the Aussies rejected had a Bluetooth range of only 9 meters, so Bluetooth range apparently can be modulated, and even though that range is still excessive, it hugely mitigates the "false positive" issue.

But, of course, not the privacy issue.

All in all, alternaut's linked docs present a pretty depressing picture of the prospects of getting a handle on COVID, let alone doing so without compromising individual privacy.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire