I maintain an onboard clone because I want a current clone without having to hook up my external every day to do it the correct way. You could do the same, but I"m afraid that your using the space on your small SSD would degrade the performance of your actual OS.
[color:#FF0000]
[color:#33FF33]Good to know. It helps make my decision.
[/color][/color]

Not sure exactly what you mean by cloning my HD rather than just Sierra, et al.

"Macintosh HD" is the name of your SSD on which Sierra is the OS. If you clone MHD you clone Sierra.

[color:#FF0000]OK, I get it. But why would I want to clone my whole, empty hard drive to an ext. drive? Wouldn't I just want to clone my OS's to the ext. drive? What am I missing (besides a few technical brain cells)?

[/color]

Ironically, the biggest learning curve item hasn't been mentioned yet... Safari 12 will "kill" ALL your extensions and necessitate their being replaced with apps, either from the App Store or freestanding, that may or may not replace your lost functionality. You're going to be on your own in that respect, although if you tell us which ones you're running we may be able to help.

OK. Like I said, Ad Blocking apps are my main concern. I can always re-downlaod those. I am keeping a list of what I may lose.

You may have missed the point on that one. Once you get to Safari 12, ALL your extensions, content blockers etc., will become dead issues. macOS will automatically uninstall them, and you'll have to search for apps to replace them. Some of your extensions may have already been released as apps, but their functionality may have changed with the change, and you may be back to square one as respects them.

[color:#FF0000]I know. That's why I said I would just re download them. Again, what point did I miss??? I think all of my extensions are apps, no? I use the words interchangeably. Maybe that's wrong.[/color]

Glad you're always happy to help! smile

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8