Originally Posted By: kevs
"f the computer is asleep there is no opportunity for it to be infected with malware,"

Joe: that a great point, how could I not think of that! That's why you are here I suppose.

I'm so used to idea that when sleep computer, nothing get done, or can work; but this is one case where that is good: Malware.!

Don't forget in System Preferences > Energy Saver IF "Wake for network access" is checked the system can be awakened by network access! 🤬

Originally Posted By: keys
Do you trust that with Sonicare? I don't, I think the original 6 months was fine; but they will double sales in future right?

Don't put the blame for that on Sonicare. All tooth brush manufacturers, dental hygienists, and dentists have gone to a recommended 90 days as a result of research by the American Dental Association.

Originally Posted By: keys
Final on Malewarebytes; Have I just been lucky for 20 years? I gave up on anti virus when I got a Mac and have no issues.. I don't think.. Sure the Imac firewall is not doing the job ok Joe? Just trying save another $30 a year bill or so; but I am open to going premium. You tend to have a bit more products than I do, but maybe I've just been lucky.. It ransomwear.and more... somehow they get into your computer while you are online even with Macs now?

Some of the most egregious Malware is installed by the user being sucked (or suckered) in by very high grade social engineering and the Mac has no protection against that. Some ransomeware doesn't have to be installed on the computer, but will fool the user into believing their system is locked up runs in any browser on any computer. And there are exploits that specifically target Macs. Macs are a hard target but they are not invulnerable.

My router has builtin malware protection and I was looking at the report this morning and it is blocking to anywhere from five to ten suspicious sites a day. As far as I can tell, most are third party advertisers on legitimate web sites and from search engine links. That doesn't count the ones that get past the router and are blocked at the browser level by Wipr, or the dozens of cookies removed by Cookie every day. Not being protected Remi ds me of the story about the window washer who fell from the top of the Empire State Building. As he fell the people on the floors below heard him as he passed by to say, "So far so good, So far so good…"

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein