Originally Posted By: kevs
If computer sleeps at night, is malwarebytes is still running?
Depends on your definition of running. In my case MalwareBytes only "RUNS" (ie. conducts a scan) every 3 hours and if the computer is asleep there is no opportunity for it to be infected with malware, so why are you concerned about whether or not MalwareBytes is running?

The software, how does it get on your computer? How does someone put that there, and would it eventually open ? I don't 'think I've had issue with this yet, but.... and would like to save $30 years or so and not have to buy premium but maybe.. as years go on; the world becomes more malevolent?
The internet world IS MALEVOLENT. There are billions of dollars to be made with internet scams so many of the best and most highly paid software developers in the world are out to make money off of you through a rich variety of mechanisms some of which are even quasi-legal but all of which are extremely difficult or even impossible to prosecute. So your only real protection is prevention.

Wow I've never analyzed surge protectors. I just buy whatever and use them on power strips. So my computer probably does not even have an "electronic" grade, as I've never heard to term until today! But just buy a Belkin power strip or if you have an economical link to suggest on that?
You pay for what you get and Belkin like APC and Tripp-Lite make a wide range of surge protectors so brand name is no guarantee. Some manufacturers have online buying guides to help you choose, for example Tripp-Lite surge protector buying guide. Additionally a search for "surge protector buying guide" will turn up a number of 10 best lists from a variety of sources. Typically you won't find much of a price spread on the better grade products so Amazon is as good a source as most, but watch model numbers carefully and be sure your get the brand and model you are looking for.

Originally Posted By: keys
I would never trust guidlines for replacement by companies who are replacing! (Sonicare used to say 1 year for brushheads, and now they change that to 6 months)
Yes and no, with high end products the manufacturers have a lot at stake, so they are careful to protect their reputation. By the way Sonicare now recommends replacing the brush heads every three months because the American Dental Association has established that as a standard for all brands.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein