Originally Posted By: kevs
Thanks Joe, this is an expensive 6ft long power strip. I never knew one should replace these. So you think surge in there is no good? I assumed always good..

The major manufacturers of electronics grade surge protectors such as Belkin, APC, and Tripp-Lite have recommended replacement every three to five years. Of course they have a vested interest in wanting you to buy new surge protectors as well as limiting their risk from users collecting on their data loss insurance. I too have a lot of surge protectors around my house, but only the ones with computer equipment connected are electronics grade. There are a couple of household electronics (Television sets) grade and the bulk of them are most are for lack of a better term Junk grade. The difference is how big a spike they can filter and how quickly they can respond to a spike.

Can one test this? Do you have a recommended surge power strip or are they all about the same? I have them all through the house.. same ones for years….

They are testable, but the testing equipment cost, would likely run into four figures. You have to balance the cost of the protected device with its sensitivity to power surges and the life-cycle cost of the connector cable. Personally I look at the junk grade surge protectors as convenient extension cords to connect multiple devices and don't worry about surge protection they offer — if any. Those I don't worry about replacing. The household electronics grade protectors get replaced every four or five years. My Electronics grade surge protectors are built into Uninteruptable Power Supplies which are too expensive to replace that often, but I do replace the batteries in them periodically.

My hub and a reset buttom, high end hub. Or unplug / replug that's what they suggest. Some of the indicator lights were on that should not have been. That solved it.. "rebooting" the hub.. again, most hubs don't have reset right?

The lights undoubtedly indicated a fault had occurred thus creating the need for a reset. Personally I have never encountered a hub with a reset.

MalwareBytes Premium: Someone tried to install software on your mac, this happens while you are online? Malwarebyes sees this in real time and can swat it away.. but not a real antiviues correct? Which is good as real antiviurs hogs the whole system... What would have happened without malware bytes? Did you have check logs or malwarebytes lets you know... maybe it would not have been a big deal.. these types of software always want to brag and let you know what they are doing? I imageine then you have to have computer on, can't sleep it at night too?

Not someone per. se. but a web site installed the software. MalwareBytes detected it on its regularly scheduled scan and moved it to Quarantine and notified me so I could decide what to do with it. Whether you call it a real antivirus or not depends on your definition of a "real antivirus". (By-the-way the term anti-virus is antiquated and the prefer term these days in anti-malware.) Rather than constantly monitoring everything coming into the system, which inevitably hurts performance) it runs a system scan on a user chosen schedule of 1, 3, 6, 12, or 24 hours. I use 3 hours and have never detected any indication that a scan is running. On my Mac mini with a 3.2 GHz 6 core i7 processor 29,236 items are scanned in less than 13 seconds. And yes my computer does sleep at night.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein