So, let me drill down to what I really want to know. If I upgrade to High Sierra (which can read APFS) and decide to go with Mojave or Catalina later, will my 64 bit apps show up in said new OS, and would then said new OS use the APFS automatically, or by choice on my part, by clicking on something that says I want to use the APFS format? Or if there is no choice but to use APFS, I would hope it would just happen automatically. There, I've repeated myself several times. I hope I get my question across. If not, we are still not on the same page. LOL!

Artie!!! Hurry up and tell me in layman's terms a third grader can understand what I need to know here.

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Originally Posted By: plantsower
So are you telling me that if I just upgrade to Sierra, and later decide to upgrade to Catalina or higher, I can't easily take my apps and utilities with me like I normally do when I upgrade, or did I misunderstand?

It would be no harder or easier to install Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, or Catalina. You would simply install the chosen OS version on your internal drive and all of your existing apps, settings, and data will remain untouched — provided they are compatible with the version of MacOS you are installing.

With Mojave and Catalina you would have the option to use APFS with all of its advantages on your external drive as well as your internal drive. With Sierra and High Sierra APFS is not an option on either your internal or external drive.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8