Thanks for explaining, and reading that blog helped clarify things. It's a lot to take in and I don't know that I understand it all, but this is my take: In the APFS, partitions and containers are synonymous. I can make many volumes within one container. It is safer to change and remove volumes than it is to mess with partitions (containers). So, would it then be safe to say that since I don't have a lot of technical needs, it would be easier to just make different volumes for all my OS's rather than partitions?

Also, the blog said it's better not to put limits on volumes. So when I d/l another OS but want to keep the former one, how do I keep them in different volumes without one devouring the other (i.e.: I have Mojave and want to upgrade to Catalina and keep Mojave at the same time and separate.) The blog might have mentioned this but I can't keep it all straight for now. Oh, I just create a volume and download Catalina to that one different volume, right?

If I have my new OS in a different volume than my old OS, how do I integrate the apps and other things I want to have access to to my new OS if I keep them in separate volumes? I don't want to have to access my old OS to do this.

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Artie and I have been touting the benefits of APFS and throwing around a lot of terms you may not understand. I wrote the following for a friend who's computer skills are similar to yours and thought it might help you understand what we are talking about.

Originally Posted By: joemikeb

Drives, Partitions, & Volumes
 for the Non-Technical

The term “Volume” has been around for a long time but is largely unknown to the non-technical users and a large percentage of “power users”. The advent of Apple’s new APFS file system, which is required for Catalina (MacOS 10.15) has brought the term into new and important prominence. This in turn has lead to some confusion about the relationship between the physical drive, partitions on the drive, volumes.

Definitions:

Drive
: The physical device used for data storage

Hard Drive (a.k.a. HD, Rotating Rust, Floppy): A drive that uses magnetic (iron oxide) on a rotating disk to store the data. There are lots of moving parts which slows data access significantly.

Solid State Drive (a.k.a. SSD, Thumb Drive, SD Card: a drive that stores data electronically and unlike an HD has no moving parts.

Partition: An allocation of the physical capacity of a drive. Partitions can be added to a drive non-destrucivey (without deleting or damaging data already on the drive) and in some cases partitions can be removed destroying only the data in the removed partition, but that is not always the case. (The Rule Of Thumb is “Never repartition a drive unless you have a known good backup of all the data on the drive you do not want to lose.”)

Volume: A logical structure all the data is stored

Every drive has at least one partition and every partition has at least one volume.

APFS The Game Changer:

In Apple’s old file system, MacOS Extended (HFS+), a partition could have only one volume and that volume had the same capacity as the partition it was on. Not so with APFS. In APFS…
  • A new logical structure is added called a Container which can contain multiple Volumes such that Every drive has at least one partition and every partition has at least one Container and every Container has at least one volume.
  • Each volume can potentially occupy the full capacity of the partition
  • Volumes can grow or shrink depending on the need or can have a fixed maximum capacity if desired
  • Volumes can be created or deleted non-destructively

APFS is optimized for use on Solid State Drives, but it works on HDs with a slight performance penalty. In use…
  • APFS volumes are far easier to create and delete than partitions.
  • APFS volumes are far more flexible than partitions.
  • APFS is now Apple’s recommended solution.
  • There are currently unexploited features of APFS such as “Snapshots” with the
    potential to render backups obsolete.
  • Experience with APFS is proving it to be very stable and reliable.
  • The only reason for using HFS+ is Time Machine (Hard links that are used
    throughout Time Machine are not supported in APFS)
Can you tell I like APFS and Catalina?

I just found this well done OWC Blog on how to create APFS partitions and Containers

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8