OK. So, I attach the external drive but I don't boot into it by using the option key. I just connect it to my computer and then run terminal. I think I have it straight now. I will do it tomorrow. Thanks for getting back to me.

Originally Posted By: artie505
I dunno. I thought
Originally Posted By: artie
You want to be booted into Sierra 2015 Macintosh HD on your internal SSD with your external HDD connected when you run the command.
was pretty explicit.

I guess this is why I'm one of the only people in my entire large family who's not a teacher.

No! You boot into your internal drive - Macintosh HD - connect your external, launch Terminal - The only Terminal you can launch is the one on the partition into which you're booted. - and run the command, which will perform a "surface scan" on your external...not any specific partition, but the drive itself.

You DO NOT need to be booted into the external to run the command on it, because, as I tried to explain, it's a "subset" of MHD, or think of it as just another folder, the contents of which happen to be macOS installations rather than documents.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8