Originally Posted By: macnerd10
True. Nonetheless, booting in safe single-user mode was not the same as sitting in safe single-user mode. The program needed time to work (especially, with deep cleaning) and all the while the fans were crazy without the computer control.

I don't think it hurt the fans any. They are designed to withstand a certain maximum voltage, and i doubt Apple would allow that maximum to be exceeded under any circumstance. [well, hopefully.] And -- if anything -- it kept the iMac (CPU, etc) as cool as possible. grin

I think the main 'problems' were that it either scared users or drove them crazy with all that vacuum cleaner noise going on.

Originally Posted By: macnerd10
So, I wonder if this continues on newer models (must be, I guess).

Not my MacBook Pro, or any PowerBook i've ever owned. I think single-user mode is usually very quiet and stable for the most part (the exception being the iMac G5... and maybe not every model of iMac G5 either, idunno). I'd say there's probably more discussion of fan noise in this thread than anywhere else on the web (since 2007 or so?). I use single-user mode for occasional fsck -fy runs when i'm bored. It is so much faster than DVD booting it's ridonkulous.