Originally Posted By: plantsower
OK, I am assuming I was to boot in recovery in my internal SSD. Because if I am in my external drive, rebooting would eject my ext drives as usual, right?

Recovery has nothing to do with drives. "(Apple) macOS Recovery is part of the built-in recovery system of your Mac." It's a firmware function, I guess.

I booted into recovery. I chose Mac HD and it said it was repairing it.

I then chose my Mojave empty partition and then my empty Catalina partition. They both said the file systems were being repaired. What??? Nothing was in them.

Even though there's neither OS nor data in those partitions there's underlying macOS info that was created when you created them. That's what DU addressed.

But your original reason for booting into Recovery was specifically to repair Sierra 2015; did you do that?

Anyway, I clicked on Safari via Recovery Drive and it said I was not connected to the internet....

Recovery hasn't got access to the info on your drive, so you've got to click on the icon in the top right corner, select your network, and enter your password to get onto the Internet.

Please boot back into Recovery with your external attached and do the following:
  • Get Safari working and see if Amazon works for you. Regardless of whether it's "yes" or "no," it'll be the first concrete piece of info about your specific situation that we'll have.
  • Launch Disk Utility and
    • Repair Sierra 2015
    • Repair the top line item that names the manufacturer of your internal drive.
    • Repair the top line item that names the manufacturer of your external drive.
My AppleCare will be expired, but Apple told me that if I called with a question (which I did and they couldn't help) I could take it in for free after things are open.

I'm not sure why you think you need to go to the Apple Store, but yes, if you call in - and you always want to get a case number - before your AppleCare expires you're good for that particular issue afterwards.

Also, I am wondering if I use a couple of flash drives and put Mojave on one and Catalina on the other if it wouldn't make it all simpler for me as a backup. My clunky Passport External drive is a pain to use anyway. I've never used a flash drive, so I hope it's a simple process (for me).

I can't help you with that one, but why have you got a Mojave partition and a Catalina partition when you intend to install only one of the two OSs?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire